Today has been positively excruciating. Enough said.
What saved it from being a totally *blah* day was that I realized that, inspite of the kind of day I have had or the stuff I go through, most people I know see me as a happy person and well, I want to keep it that way,always.
I mentioned to a colleague today that I generally try to seek out happy things and positive people. I make it a point everyday to do or simply be near something that makes me happy. So, what does make me happy? Like the song goes, ‘these are a few of MY favorite things…’
- Hearing my mother laugh over the phone always makes my day .
- The lame sms’ my brother sends me on whatsapp at the worst possible times, like when I’m at a meeting or in the middle of something important. (He just has a way…never fails) but I know that at that moment, he’s thinking of me!
- When my dad talks to me about the tricks my dog has been upto.
- A long walk inspite of the weather here in the UAE
- Cooking something from scratch and at the end of it all thinking to myself ‘It must taste better than this!’
- My quirky little apartment
- Country music, the waiters at Starbucks who remember my name and the sight of all the books I’ve collected but haven’t got down to reading.
I’m starting to beam just writing these things down, and there are still so many more. Don’t get me started on dogs, coffee, looking through old photographs and reading old letters or emails.
You see, I believe that it’s so important to know what makes you happy, and I wonder how many people really stop to contemplate the simple things that can fill their lives with joy.You can fill up your life with lots of expensive stuff and haunt the most ‘in’ places but if you’re not okay with yourself or the people around you, then there’s just so much a holiday or an expensive shopping spree can ever do for you. But I’m not going to get carried away – that’s for another blog post altogether.
So I ask you, what makes you happy? I’m not talking deliriously happy like when you’re in love or anything, but just a general feeling of contentment with the world around you. Think about it and post your answers here.
As for me, I’m going to get back to doing my chores and listening to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill sing their hearts out!